POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : **** : Re: **** Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ****
From: Shay
Date: 6 Dec 2004 17:38:37
Message: <41b4df6d$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>>Had to try this again. Probably not interesting unless you've
>>experimented with this type of thing yourself, but my new edge-rounding
>>algorithm is very sophisticated.
>

> Maybe I missed this before, but what is this algorithm? Is it an SDL thing
> or some sort of patch?

Just as SDL thing. I posted a similar shape a while ago. The edges
looked *decent*, but only because I made the curves very small. The
whole thing got me thinking about the odd parts of rounding a shape like
this. There are no obvious solutions. Compromises have to be made, and I
did some experiments to find what arrangement of compromises made the
most attractive shape.

The corner bends are all perfectly cylindrical, like a CSG rounded cube,
but the corners won't meet in a sphere like a cube's corners. The bends
are all different radii, but the width of the bends is perfectly equal
between edges. This is the best solution IMO (equal radii curves of
different widths being another possibility), but it is possibly flawed.
I've failed to think of a better way to join a concave curved edge with
two convex curved edges of a smaller radius. What I've got here might be
as good as that situation can possibly look, and, looking at some of the
machined parts around here, looks like the same compromise made by some
manufacturers and welders.

There *are* differences, however subtle, between this and what would
come out of a modeler.

  -Shay